Designed by Captain Francis Fowke to accommodate two regiments in transit for operations overseas, Raglan was built between 1853 and 1856, and named after FitzRoy Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan. The site had a large parade ground, and was first occupied by the 96th Regiment of Foot in December 1858.
The barracks were demolished in the early 1970s. The surviving gateway is now a Grade II listed building, and described on the 2011 BAR register as follows.
Entrance gateway with flanking guardhouses to former barracks. 1853-56 by Captain Fowke RE, for the Admiralty Works Department. Dressed Plymouth limestone brought to course and freestone dressings; roof hidden behind parapet with moulded entablature. Classical style. Central square clock tower with face to each side and moulded cornice. Identical inner and outer elevations each with central round archway. Single-storey; 9-window range. Lodge at either side has plinth, 3 windows with plain architraves and consoles to plain hoods.
Why is the site at risk? Although the main exterior of the building is still relatively solid, the interior has been severely damaged due to the building having stood empty for so many years. The roof has collapsed internally, all the windows have been blocked off and there is evidence of water ingress at the interior of the arch. There is vegetation growth both internally and externally and the stonework is beginning to deteriorate.